SIP phone extension for Mozilla Thunderbird- -
What is Cockatoo?-
-Cockatoo is a project about -implementing SIP/SIMPLE as an extension for Thunderbird (XPCOM -component/XUL interface) that enables users to phone contacts and see -their presence state. --
What is accountex?
-Users shall be able to do a phone call by one -click out of their address book and to reply to emails by phone call. To -put this into practice, the open standards SIP, SDP, RTP as well as audio codecs -have to be implemented. These functionalities will be included into Thunderbird -as an XPCOM component. +A powerful extension to export and import the account settings.+
-On top of this component, an XUL interface will be set up that does -several tasks: -
- Creating a basic standalone interface for accessing URIs of type tel and sip. These can be accessed by entering it directly or choosing an address from an address book sidebar. -
- Including a field "SIP address" to Thunderbird's address book cards. Email addresses will be mapped to corresponding SIP addresses so that a sender of an email with a known SIP address can be contacted directly. -
- Displaying the presence state of email senders using the SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY extensions of SIP defined in RFC 3856. Any other SIMPLE services like MESSAGE (defined in RFC 3428) should be implemented at a later time. -
- Enabling the user to call persons from several interfaces of Mozilla Thunderbird like the address book or recieved emails if there is a known sender. +
- The export assistant saves your account settings in a xml based text file (RDF). Supported are pop3 and 'local folder' accounts. +
- The import assistant imports your saved account settings in a thunderbird profile. Very helpful for example after a new installation or re-installation.
-SIP is the most used open standard for telecommunication over IP, it is -standarized by RFC 3261. As more -and more devices like notebooks carry microphones and a permanent -internet connection with them (WLAN), it is to be expected that users -will want to use their existing environment for phoning as well.-
-Especially the last mentioned feature (calling by click using the -address book) is an extremely useful capability, as address books of -many Thunderbird users already contain phone numbers. These ordinary -phone numbers can be called over a SIP provider's gateway. --